Tuesday 10 August 2010

No Second Chances

Life is full of second chances, right? There's still plenty of time, is there not?

I stumbled upon this video of a song I used to love many years back. This is Whitecross' No Second Chances from their album In The Kingdom (1991). I used to listen to this album hundreds of times every day (maybe there's a slight exaggeration here!) for their great music (loved the lead vocal and guitar) and convicting message.

Let me sidetrack a little.

Listening to this song again flood back much memories. Interestingly, I remembered many "spiritual" adults who used to condemn 'Christian Rock music', especially the heavy ones. Note the enemy's old ploy of distracting the church into passing judgments on disputable matters (Romans 14). Every century and decade has its own variance and themes, but it's the same strategy, same old dirty enemy!

My youth pastor was considered 'radical' because he was an 'evangelist' of CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). My Christian friends those days were shocked that I was an ardent Christian rock and metal music fan. Some younger ones who looked up to me, followed my music path and developed their own musical skills (especially the drums) too. I used to play the drums.

Even at a young age, I could tell the difference what was edifying and what wasn't. Just because the stuffs had secular elements (in this case rock music, many said it's from the devil) doesn't mean they can't be used. I like Jon Foreman's (Switchfoot) comment that there's no such thing as 'Christian music' because Christ came to die to redeem people, not music. So, there's no such thing as christian music, or book, or job or stuffs. Music is a tool, a powerful weapon that can be used to spread the redemption story. A heavier music doesn't make it more 'secular', and the softer ones (esp. those with strings and angelic voices) don't make them more 'Christian' or 'spiritual'. Of course heavy music is not for everyone. I don't really listen to heavy music anymore. I can't find many good ones by Christians these days.

Can Christians still be easily fooled? Distracted into unnecessary arguments? What other forms are there beside music?

Now, let's get back to the essence of the message. Listening to great songs like this hundreds of times as a youth helped to solidify my christian values up to today, apart from Bible studies of course!

This song is based on 'The Rich Man and Lazarus' (Luke 16:19-31). Was a great message then, and even greater message today! The Time is drawing nearer....there's no second chances, don't listen to lies. Don't buy them!


No comments: