Tuesday 27 July 2010

Beyond The Setting Sun

"I've got a wound that doesn't heal...."

What a great song this is (by Switchfoot, again!). Great music, fantastic honest lyrics that resonates with me. A timely reminder to me again recently, although I must've listen to this song hundreds of times over the years!

Adding to what I wrote in the previous post, our wounds in life are not just meant to glorify God (in whether He chooses to take them away or not), but also to remind us of our direction.

Recently I was reflecting on my blog title: What Direction and where I'm ultimately heading: the place beyond this setting sun (that's what the song is about). Is heaven a destination or a direction? I think for me right now it's a DIRECTION, although without a doubt it's my final home. Why direction?

"Forgetting what is behind and straining TOWARD what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me HEAVENWARD in Christ Jesus" (Philipians 3:13-14).

The verses have the past, present and future all in the right perspective. I recently realized this is the perfect remedy for everything I've been longing for:

1. Forget (and forgive) my past and pain.
2. Work (and live) in the present.
3. Step into my best (awaiting) future, which is the DIRECTION of the One who calls me.

There is a reason why some longings cannot be satisfied in this world. There is a reason why some wounds just won't heal. There is a reason that they still burn. There is a reason that compels us to choose our direction at some inevitable crossroads. Don't lose your directions, don't get lost.

There was another old Switchfoot song that says "We want more than this world's got to offer, we want more than the wars of our fathers. Everything inside screams for second life. We were meant to live for so much more, have we lost ourselves?"

2 comments:

Daniel said...

God bless you for spreading the gospel in you're own way! Thank you for posting my video for this:).

Blessings,
Daniel

HT said...

Hi Daniel, thanks for your beautiful video and for visiting here. :)