Tuesday 1 June 2010

Time's Up?

Came back from our Young Adults' retreat in Genting Permai Resort two days ago. Actually came back rejuvenated though I can't remember when was the last activity I planned for my own benefit.

This retreat is kinda different from the previous ones. More newcomers this round and better balance of relaxing without compromising the objectives. Some things remain the same. The few strong people I can rely on and the same old excuses of why people couldn't come (though with creative twists this round! But it's still the same *yawn*). The usual criticisms are there, but then, many were blessed and that's what really counts.

I guess the biggest difference for me this round is the presence of my senior pastor. Up till the last minute, I wasn't sure if he would turn up for his session (though his personal assistant had confirmed he would come) because of how busy he always is. To my surprise and delight he turned up and decided to do two (instead of one) sessions and stayed overnight (instead of leaving early). He expressed his desire to spend time with us rather than his other ministries. Wow!

In my 20+ years in the church, I've never spent so much time conversing with my senior pastor like in this retreat. There's so much I wanted to share with him, but it was he who did most of the talking and I listening. Here's a man who'd done so much but yet burdened by so much with little time left. He poured out his hurts and regrets like I've never seen before. There are things he'll not share behind the pulpit.

The man is desperate for his sons (spiritual) to inherit his portion and take it to the next level. It's funny that he said the church is many years behind time, as I'd thought the time was already up quite some time ago. Maybe we're in 'injury time'....then it's by the grace of God how long this injury time will last. I felt some sadness as I think of what's gonna take place next. Those ravenous wolves in sheep's clothings....

Only the Redeemer can redeem....time and men. Mice and men.

No comments: