Saturday 14 May 2011

The Other Side of the River


I was told last night from someone that she enjoys reading my blog and feed on it like food!

Well, this story is dedicated to her, as she's leaving home for "the other side".

You want more food, here's something to take away and chew on the road. My parting gift for you shall come in the form of a story....

Once there was a man leaving his village for the other side down the long river. The boat journey is slow and lengthy, so he struck a conversation with the boatman.  
He asked, "What are the people like at the far side of the river?"  
The boatman asked, "What are the people like on the side you came from?" 
The man replied, "Oh, they're mean, good for nothing, unfriendly and generally bad people. Some of the worst people I've ever met. I'm really very glad I'm leaving them for the far side!"  
The boatman paused and then said, "Oh, I wouldn't be so quick to celebrate if I were you. You'll find that the people on the far side are just about the same".

On another day, another man was also leaving from the same village for the other side of the river. He also struck up a conversation with the boatman.  
He asked, "What are the people like at the far side of the river?"  
The boatman asked in return, "What are the people like on the side you came from?"  
The man replied "Oh, they're so warm, nice, friendly and generally great people. Some of the best friends I've made. I'm gonna miss them so much, I may never meet such nice people anywhere else!" 
The boatman paused and then said with a smile, "Oh, I wouldn't worry much if I were you. You'll find that the people on the far side are just about the same".

No comments: