Saturday 2 April 2011

What's Your Faith About?

If there's an "About" page for your faith, how would you write it? How would your articulate your deepest beliefs? Are your words based on certain popular spiritual leaders that you follow? Are they based on some cotton candy books you've read? Or maybe based on your own personal experiences?

After talking to a young leader in a college cell I shared in tonight, I'm reminded once again the power of simplicity, in the fundamentals of our beliefs, teachings and lifestyle.

There will always be the hypes, fluffs, and cotton-candy trends surrounding our spiritual beliefs and faith. Let's face it, after they go away, more will come. Depending on who you listen to and follow. Over the years, I've grown ashamed to be associated with certain unnecessary circuses that surrounds the essentials. But the simple truths that first drew me many years ago are still deeply rooted within. There are things I'll never be ashamed of.



If you're told to fit your faith in just one song, how would you write it, sing it?

Tonight, as I came home, I was reminded by a great rock song I used to love, Creed by Petra (CCM legends), based on the forgotten Apostle's creed. If I'd write a one-page of "About" for my faith, this would be it. Every word in the song is powerful and still (even more) relevant today, has stood the test of time and trials, and there's no fluff in it. I'm not ashamed of these words...I'll hold steadfast to them.



Creed by Petra
I believe in God the Father - maker of heaven and earth
And in Jesus Christ His only Son
I believe in the virgin birth
I believe in the Man of Sorrows bruised for iniquities
I believe in the Lamb who was
crucified and hung between two thieves

I believe in the resurrection on the
third and glorious day
And I believe in the empty tomb and the
stone that the angel rolled away
He descended and set the captives free
And now He sits at God's right hand
and prepares a place for me

(Chorus)
This is my creed - the witness I have heard
The faith that has endured
This truth is assured
Through the darkest ages past
Though persecuted, it will last
And I will hold steadfast to this creed

I believe He sent His Spirit to comfort and to reveal
To lead us into truth and light, to baptize and to seal
I believe that He will come back the way He went away
And receive us all unto Himself, but no man knows the day

I believe He is the Judge of all men, small and great
The resurrected souls of men receive from Him their fate
Some to death and some to life, some to their reward
Some to sing eternal praise forever to our Lord

No comments: