Wednesday 29 December 2010

What Scared You This Year?

Two more days to end the year 2010. At the beginning, I resolved that I would leave my familiar shell like a hermit crab to venture and try new things. If they don't scare me, then I haven't done anything, I haven't gone far out enough. Not many would understand this.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained" or "Nothing ventured, nothing lost"? I decided to follow the former phrase this year.

Sure, there are a few things I did that really scare the hell out of me. I'd bitten too big a chunk than I can chew sometimes.

Now, standing at the edge into the new year, I can only look back with a grateful heart and even afford a few laughs. Someone once said "If you’re going to be able to look back on something and laugh about it, you might as well laugh about it now."

And I also like this quote from The Alchemist, "Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity."

One more last hurdle before I embark on another new journey...

I'm at this bolted door,
But I'm coming through without permission
If I go, they say I'm wrong
If I stay, there'll be no song...
 - Delirious' The Mezzanine Floor

So, what did you resolve to do with yourself this year? Did you do it?

What scared you?

Happy New Year!

No comments: