Tuesday 5 October 2010

The Call

I've just watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian last week and I thought it was a great film! I know, I'm super outdated! When it came out to the big screen two years back, I didn't hear very good reviews and there were 'bigger' movies out then, so I somehow gave it a miss. Though the movie wasn't as big an epic as other war movies, but I thought the story was really good. Shouldn't have doubted C. S. Lewis' brand of storytelling. But I guess why this story came to me now wasn't a coincidence at all. At such a time as this!

There were a few parts that personally hit me, and probably none as big as this: when Lucy the youngest of the Pevensie siblings saw Aslan the great Lion, her brothers and sister couldn't see and didn't believe her except probably Edmund, the second youngest. Was it because of her simple, child-like faith? And soon High King Peter and the rest were doing battle in their own might, wisdom and experiences, as though Aslan were never there. Inevitably, the cost was great, casualties were high. Haven't we all been guilty of that? But brave Lucy chose to take the path of the Lion even if she had to do it alone. In time to come, in their most desperate hour, the rest chose to have faith in Aslan and finally saw him in the final battle. Lucy was proved right and because of her bravery and conviction, saved the whole Narnian Kingdom.

Though Aslan's parts were very few in the film, they somehow had a huge impact in me, beyond what I can write here. It's just his awesome majestic presence, yet so gentle and friendly to a child. Never too late, and always in control, he'd have the final say on all things. And somehow that beautiful song (The Call) at the finale was very meaningful to me in more ways than one. It represented some things going on inside of me.

Here's a of a live performance by Regina Spektor who wrote and sung that song.




The Call by Regina Spektor

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word

And then that word grew louder and louder
Til it was a battle cry

I'll come back when you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never
Been this way before

All you can do is try to know
Who your friends are
As you head off to war

Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say goodbye
   
Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget

Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
Til they're before your eyes

You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say goodbye


No comments: