Wednesday 1 September 2010

Are You A Lighthouse or A Weather Vane?

I just realised that I've blogged here for over two and a three quarter years already! I've changed my blog header picture, to symbolize and reinforce the purpose of this blog. Why a lighthouse? A solitary lighthouse in a dark, stormy night? I'll let Robert K. Cooper explain:

"It's easy to act as if you are a weathervane, always changing your beliefs and words, trying to please everyone around you. But we were born to be lighthouses, not weathervanes. Imagine a vertical axis running through the center of your heart, from your deepest roots to your highest aspirations. That's your lighthouse. It anchors you in the world and frees you from having to change directions every time the weather shifts. Inside this lighthouse there is a lens and a light. The light represents who you are when nobody else is looking. That light was meant to keep shining, no matter how dark or stormy it gets outside...when you find that light inside you, you will know it. Don't let anyone else dim it...and one more thing: remember to look for the light inside others. If at first you can't see it, look deeper. It's there."
Robert K. Cooper in his book The Other 90%.

And I pray,

May my light never be darken
May my lens never grow dull
Never let Truth out of my sight

May my sword be sharpened
Until all fightings are lulled
Until the end of all might

Forbid my pride be made swollen
Nor my supply be too much nor be null
That I may get out of the way of thy True Light


That suddenly reminds me of a favourite song of mine, May The Words Of My Mouth by Tim Hughes, to add the following part to my prayer,

Lord, will You be my vision
Lord, will You be my guide
Be my hope, be my light and the way?
And I'll look not for riches
Nor praises on earth
Only You'll be the first in my heart

Amen.

No comments: