Monday 18 January 2010

Your Love Is A Song

I got hold of Switchfoot's latest album Hello Hurricane last month and it had never left my car CD player ever since. It's been the only album I've been listening to. Switchfoot's music and philosophy in life and many things have impacted me so much over the years. This is their seventh album and they've never sounded better!



Jon Foreman (frontman/songwriter) said Hello Hurricane is a realistic and hopeful musical response to "the storms that tear their lives apart". I'd always love and appreciate their heartfelt honesty and passion in their songs. Their driving catch phrase is attributed to Dolly Parton: 'If you ain't crying, why are you singing it?' which means if this isn't a song you want to die singing, you shouldn't sing it.

The words of the title and the birds in the album art have very significant personal meanings to me. I had a dream of birds when I was sixteen which I can still see vividly, its images still burn deeply inside me. The very same year someone gave me a word about the whole nation turning...anyway, those are things I wouldn't write here. Anyway, the picture of birds in the album cover is about the calm before the storm.

I'm not gonna write a review and say how good the latest record is. Switchfoot is already a legend to many. I was searching YouTube for a video of one of my favourites Your Love Is A Song, and I found this to be quite ok. It's a live performance captured upclose on a handycam (quite shaky at times!). I think the birds as the backdrop in the stage setting is so cool, and so is Jon's t-shirt!

In Your Love Is A Song, Jon said he writes about things he cannot understand, like God and girls. But it's mostly about grace.




I've been keeping my eyes wide open
I've been keeping my eyes wide open

Oh your love is a symphony
All around me
Running through me
Oh your love is a melody
Underneath me
Running to me
Your love is a song...
-From Your Love Is A Song


Here's another one like how it sounded in the CD, with lyrics.

No comments: